Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Costumes

I thought I'd venture off my usual topic path of home decor and share my kiddos costumes today. Last year, I made their costumes. It made me feel so good to do that for them, as silly as that sounds. It also saved me a ton of money. SO I knew I wanted to try and make them again this year. I know it isn't something I will be able to do forever, but it's nice for now.

Here is a pic of my little garden gnome and fairy from last year.


Because I can barely work my sewing machine, I have to keep the costumes simple. So when I saw this pink owl costume at Following Phubie, I knew it would be the perfect costume for my daughter. It was very easy, she had the templates to print right in the post, and I used fabric glue to construct the entire thing.




I then came up with the idea to make a squirrel costume for my son.

I went and bought some fur and used a brown jogging suit he had from last year. And the rest was just trial and error. I cut enough of the fur fabric to fold it in half to make a long rectangle.


I glued the open bottom and side edges with fabric glue, stuffed the tail with batting, and then glued the top edges.



After that, I just rolled the top of the tail to look how I wanted and added a couple of hand stitches to hold it in place.


Then I added the felt to the chest of the jacket, ears at the top, and pinned the tail on.




Sorry for the pics. It would have been easier to nail jello to a tree than get my one year old to stand still for a picture. I did manage to get one of them together.


I think they both make adorable woodland creatures! I was really nervous about the squirrel costume since I had no tutorial or even a picture to go on. But I think I did alright!

21 comments:

  1. That squirrel costume just kills me! I love it! The tail turned out perfect and that's what makes it. It's so great how you keep your costumes to a theme so they look good together. I think your pictures are great, btw. That's what real life looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The pink owl costume turned out great! I would love to post it on http://phubie.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley! Those are 2 of the most adorable costumes I have ever seen! I laughed out loud when you said it would have been easier to nail jello to a tree than to get your son to stay still! Sooooo understand that! You did such an awesome job and I hope maybe you will consider linking this up the Inspiration Friday party this week!
    Vanessa
    P.S. Your comment on my last post was so sweet and heartfelt and just about made me cry! I love knowing that I'm not alone in my struggles and I'm glad that we can use this blogging thing to encourage each other! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! How adorable are they??? I love their costumes and you are the bomb, I love squirrels, and how cute is that tail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the costume. You crack me up. The jello bit is just too funny. Both of them look fabulous last year and this year. How fun. Thanks also for stopping by and your gracious comments. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outfits are adorable!! You did really well on both, but I am eating up your son in the squirrel outfit...not sure of where you were going until I saw the finished outfit on him!! Fabulous!! I hope they both have lots of fun on Halloween! :-)

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have done a fabulous job in all the costumes. My girls are 25 now and I loved making their costumes. These are great memories that you can cherish.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Comments make blogging worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The squirrel is adorable! I love the owl! I just finished making my daughters and it took forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ADORABLE!!!!! I made my kids' costumes too. . . made them get in the shopping cart at the store. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are both adorable, but the squirrel costume is my favourite. You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so in love! i love how the owl and squirrel go together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Just had to come back over and say thanks for linking this post up! Who knows, maybe someone out there will end up posting a pic of their kiddos in these great costumes all thanks to you! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kids and their costumes are so cute. I love the photos. They are fabulous because they are real life!

    My daughter made my three year old grandson a space shuttle costume. It is the cutest thing, made of boxes and paper, etc. He steps into it and there are shoulder straps to hold it on. Looks just like a shuttle with nasa insignia and flags. I think box costumes are a family tradition with us...I've made my share for Noah's mommy and aunts.:-) Fun times when there are little ones around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ashley...you did wonderful on those costumes they all turned out just great, you have your hands full don't you with those two sweet kids!

    Thanks for visiting me I do appreciate it♥

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ashley,
    I think the squirrel costume is about the sweetest thing I've seen! Great job on both!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't stop smiling at that squirrel costume!!! It's too much!!! The fairy and gnome from last year are adorable! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. those costumes are the cutest EVER!!! How fun! I'd give em both a handfull of candy for that cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. AHHHH! I love it. I am totally doing it next year. I am going to have a hard time deciding between the gnome/ fairy and the squirrel/ owl combo! Genius! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job on those and they are so precious. Halloween is so much fun when the kids are young. Thanks for coming by and following.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see I am already following you. I can't keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh...those are so cute! I love the squirrel tail. My daughter was a butterfly. I just put a pick jogging suit on her, some pretty pink polka dot wings and called it good ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

Search This Blog

Loading...

Total Pageviews