About 6 months ago, my husband began working for the family business and needed a space for his office. Which meant the playroom had to be moved from its previous, fairly private spot, into the open, unused front living room to make room for him. When our toys were moved to that front room, it meant that as soon as anyone entered our house, the first thing they were greeted with was a playroom with toys scattered about. Not my ideal situation at all! So I stared at magazines and pictures in blogland for weeks, all the while realizing that the playroom had to stay. After all, a family with young kids lives here! So I determined I would try to disguise it. We purchased a couch (with a hide-a-bed for overnight guests) and bookshelves, and began purchasing other things at yard sales. I don't think my husband ever thought I'd actually be able to pull it off, but I did. And now when you walk into my home, the first thing you are greeted by is a small sitting room with a hidden play space behind it. And the layout works perfectly because the play space is still off the kitchen. Which allows me to watch the kids play while I make lunch, dinner, or clean. Here are some pics of the project.
Here is what the room looked like when we moved in.
Then we ripped out the carpet, exposing the hardwoods.
And then we filled it up with random things that had no home anywhere else in the house. So we cleared all that out, painted the walls, and started purchasing furniture and rearranged a million times, until finally I was pleased.
And now, this is what you see when you walk in my front door.
This is the play area, behind the couch. Those cabinets are filled with toys. And they used to be pink and yellow! But we painted them white.
Here is a view from behind the couch looking toward the front entry.
More toys behind the couch.
Hidden Kitchen area.
The rug in the play area, a clearance find from Target.
And all of the furnishings and decor were bought on Craigslist or at yard sales. I think including the purchase of the couch and bookshelves, I spent under $400 on this makeover!!!! I still need a few more little things here and there, and I am thinking of adding crown moulding. But I am so pleased with how it turned out!
I will be linking up with these parties this week:
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
The DIY Showoff Project Parade
Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Craft Edition
Show Us What You're Workin' With @ Me and My Bucket
Penny Pinching Party @ The Thrifty Home
Show and Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple